Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Adventures in Nashville Snow

So, it really snowed here! For the first time since I moved here (6 1/2 years ago) we have several inches of snow on the ground that is not going anywhere anytime soon. It came on Friday, and so of course, school was cancelled (wahoo!). Friday night it chose to add a little freezing rain to the top of the snow giving it a nice crust. I stayed in pajamas all day Friday, and while it was wonderful, I started to go a little stir crazy Saturday afternoon, so I decided to brave the streets and go to the gym and grocery store.
I got dressed, pulled up my hair, and tried to leave my kitchen door. No such luck. The wind had blown the snow and ice up against my screen door and it was not budging. So, out the front door I go, trudging through the snow. It took awhile to get the snow off my car and then slowly back down the driveway, desiring not to back into my neighbors cars that are always parked on the street. I made it safely out the driveway and to the gym (driving no faster than 20 mph on packed snow and ice). The roads were a little slick and I slid a couple times but nothing too bad. I did my regular grocery shopping and came home, only to discover that my car was not driving up my driveway. I had to leave it at the bottom and hike my groceries up the driveway and into the house. And just so you know, it is REALLY, REALLY cold out there. Cold enough to keep the 1/2 inch layer of ice in tact on the passenger side of my car withstanding the full blast of heat on it from within.
Church was cancelled this morning for tomorrow and I am fairly certain that school will be canceled Monday too (which will make 4 of 5 snow days used for the year)! I welcome the time to get things done, though have to admit that I haven't done too much with the time I have already had (besides pleasure reading-which is SO desirable!). The snow admittedly makes me a little homesick-I am just grateful there are no mountains or I really might have problems! And while Governor Bredesen has called a State of Emergency, I am just fine, warm, and happy in my little house! Happy Winter to All!

6 comments:

  1. WEll, it is time you got a little taste of Utah in Tennessee! However, we haven't had that bad of weather here this year. The northern part of the state has had a lot of snow and Larry is really tired of shoveling and snowblowing. I am so glad that you made it home safely. I worry about you a lot, out there away from family. I know you love it there and that is the only thing that gives me comfort.....Enjoy the warm, inside days, and contine to read those enjoyable books....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you thaw out soon, although I do know how much you love your snow days. How come you didnt call me with all that free time on your hands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really jealous about your snow days. Even if we were allowed snow days we wouldn't have been able to use them since the snow always seems to wait for the weekends. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. School AND church canceled?? How can you be so lucky?? I'm glad you got some days to yourself, as long as you are safe and warm. We finally have blue skies and sun today, which we haven't seen in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are way too lucky... we get dumped on and they don't even give us a delay to get to school! My girls have 5 snow days built into the school year and we haven't used ONE... my school would never dream of closing and we average 100 inches a year. Location, location, location!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun. We haven't gotten as much snow as we need. I bet it was nice to have time off. I hope all is well with you. Good luck with the rest of the school year.

    ReplyDelete